Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"C'mon Ride the Train"

Being interested in modern architecture and design for quite some time, Dubai is a place that truly was a feast for my eyes. Having visited many of the most influential contemporary design cities (Paris, various places in Italy, New York, etc.), none really come to par with or anywhere remotely close to Dubai. In fact, it would seem that for any engineer, designer, or architect, coming to the city for employment represents an unparalleled chance at full creative freedom, with limited or without any restraints whatsoever on capital. A true opportunity of a lifetime!

While the examples to cite for this are endless, one thing in particular still sticks in my head. On my last day in Dubai, I decided to venture off on my own to other less "touristy" areas of the city. This being said, I hopped on a taxi from our hotel en route to the nearest metro (Mall of the Emirates). Now, I know that metro systems are not exactly the things that are the most cosmopolitan...but, this time, I urge all of you to reconsider.

Have a look for yourselves - The first picture is a sample of what every metro station looks like from the outside (this one is of the Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall Station), while the other two are taken from the inside of Khalid Bin Al-Whaleed station (the station adjacent to the Burjuman shopping center).



Having second thoughts yet? The cleanliness, superb. The staff, respectful and well-informed. The design, futuristic. The lighting, exquisite. A very high-end look, for such a basic staple. Truly Amazing!

I know that I might not be the most frequent user of metro systems or public transport as a whole but, I'm sure if Montreal's metros looked anything close to this, I, as well as others, might be more inclined to make use of it. The Dubai Metro System is fully automated, meaning that there are no drivers but there is a central location which monitors the flow of the carts. The metros ride above ground unlike the ones in Montreal. It is also said that once the entire system is completed, it will have taken over the world record set by the Vancouver Sky train as the longest automated metro system in the world. The only negative comment I can make about the system is that I found it to be quite slow. However, I'm not sure whether this is because many of the stations were still under construction causing the trains to have to slow down. I guess I will have to retest in June 2010 when it will be fully completed. Anybody down for a summer trip? I know I am!


One last random thought for now. For some reason, the only song that keeps on replaying in my head, over and over again, is one that is taking me back to my youth (I know I'm still young, but you understand), and the days in which Chicago Bulls Basketball games and anything Michael Jordan were all the rage. Come on people, sing the Quad City DJs song with me, I know you know it..."C'mon ride the train...woo woo...and ride it!"...I can't hear you...Sing louder!

1 comment:

Justin C said...

I must agree with what you are saying about the remarkable beauty of the metro system. However I'm concerned about it's accessibility. You said it yourself, you had to take the taxi in order to reach the metro, just like I did. I feel like the sheer size of the metro stops and the fact that the rails are outdoors is going to limit its growth. We've seen that Dubai is in constant expansion and I wonder how they are going to reach all existing and future neighborhoods. Unless they start building metro lines the good old way: dark, scary tunnels.