Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Affect of Culture on the Business Climate


There was much to see and much to do in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, but even more to learn. It's been interesting to learn about the culture and how that culture has impacted the business climate of the U.A.E.

The laws and customs have greatly affected how people do business. After a visit to the New Medical Centre that has ten hospitals in the U.A.E, we visually saw this influence. One of the hospital rooms included a large area for the family to gather and discuss the medical condition of the patient and to decide what to do. In Canada, there are patient confidentiality laws that do not allow doctors to discuss the medical condition of the patient without the proper consent, even with the family. In Canada, family members are often discourages to visit because time in the hospital is a time to rest and get better. Here, if family members don't visit it can be taken as an insult.

Over the last week, I found my opinions constantly changing as I struggled to understand the true essence of the country. I am still mulling over the issues and gathering my thoughts as I decide whether I would be willing and able to live in the U.A.E in the future.

No comments: